Neuroregenerative Rehabilitaion Therapy
Neurorehabilitation is a process which combines rehabilitation expertise from different fields to come together and rehabilitate the problems related to the brain or nervous system. NeuroGen gives equal importance to neurorehabilitation with stem cell therapy. We believe that both needs to be done simultaneously to provide maximum results to the patients.
A combination of Stem Cell Therapy, Neurorehabilitation along with involvement of various specialist consultants is called Neuro Regenerative Rehabilitation Therapy (NRRT). At NeuroGen we provide NRRT treatment to all our patients majorly describing our holistic approach towards making a patient's life better.
The rehabilitation team sets up goals and the injected stem cells from within the body help in achieving those goals. Studies have shown that exercise induces mobility in the injected stem cells, thereby enhancing the achievable outcomes. Hence neurorehabilitation appears to work complimentarily with stem cell therapy.
- Neuro Rehabilitation Facility
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Clinical Psychologist
- Aquatic Therapy
- Sensory Integration Therapy
- ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis)
- Dance & Music Therapy
- Spinal Cord Injury Walking track
- Diet Counseling
- Yoga Therapy
- Motivational Workshops
NeuroGen Hospital's rehabilitation setup is one of a kind setup where you will find all the rehabilitation therapies which are required by a neurological patient under one roof. Apart from having all the basic rehabilitative techniques, we are the only hospital in Mumbai having an in-house Aquatic therapy set-up and treating patients with neurological disorders through that, we are the first centre in India having a walking track rehabilitation set-up for spinal cord injury / paralysed patients.
Patients can get admitted for long term rehabilitation program or can choose to come on an OPD basis for therapies. Various equipments required for all the therapies available are of the best quality, from the best equipment company whether national or international and most of the time customized according to our patients needs. Modern gadgets for exercise therapy, occupational therapy as well as speech therapy are available. Fitting of orthotic devices to treat severely disables with paralysis and deformities. Different packages available for long/short term rehabilitation as well as for different class of accommodation.Special concessional packages for patients from lower socio-economic background.
Physiotherapists address the physical disability experienced by the patients.
- To assist in movement restoration
- To increase muscle strength, endurance, coordination & balance.
- To reduce spasticity & increase joint range of motion & prevent contractures.
- To assist in gait training with or without ambulatory aids.
- To perform pulmonary rehabilitation including breathing exercises, in order to reduce fatigue & keep lungs clear.
Occupational therapists work towards functional independence of the patient. Training for activities of daily living and self care activities such as:-
- To evaluate & train the patient in self care activities such as dressing, eating, bathing & personal hygiene to maximize independence.
- To evaluate & train the patient to compensate for sensory & perceptual deficits taking personal, social & cultural tastes into consideration.
- To aid in home evaluation and recommend steps to make the environment barrier free & accessible.
- To provide holistic training in home management skills, using simpler methods or aids to minimize fatigue and conserve energy.
Speech Therapists are specially trained in exercises to improve clarity of speech, sound production, speech development and strengthening of the voice. They also educate about techniques to improve swallowing and avoid choking spells.
They focus on various components as follows
- Speech- includes phonation, articulation, fluency, resonance and voice
- Language development- deals with comprehension and expression in oral, written, graphics and signs
- Cognitive aspects of communication- focuses on attention, memory, problem solving, executive function
- Swallowing - for solids & liquids
Neurological disorders are devastating for the patients and family members. Most often they are unable to cope with their disease and need guidance. Clinical psychologist identifies the problem areas and provides counseling and guidance for better coping strategies to both the patients and care givers. They also contribute towards the cognitive rehabilitation of the patient.
- To reduce psychological distress.
- To enhance and promote psychological wellbeing.
- To use testing tools or scales which measure the objective scores of some psychological domains or cognitive domains.
- To use therapies and counseling techniques thereby enabling clients to make positive changes in their lives.
- Behavioral therapy: it involves a complete understanding of the child's behavior and changing the behavior to reduce dysfunction & improve the quality of life. This can be done by encouraging desired behavior and eliminating undesired behavior.
Having a multidisciplinary unit for rehabilitation of patients with neurological disorders on land is not enough for a comprehensive rehabilitation. Aquatic therapy for neurological disorder patient has been widely practice in the world. In India it is not available in many centers.Aquatic therapist makes use of physical properties of water. The treatment is conducted in a swimming pool which allows for early movement restoration, reduction of spasticity, balance training, muscular strengthening, improved range of motion of the joints and greater degree of freedom. The aquatic therapist carefully identifies the problem areas and designs patient specific water based exercise program that slowly translates into land based exercises. Aquatic therapy is important for early therapeutic intervention.
Sensory integration : Ayres (1972) defines sensory integration as "the neurological process that organizes sensation from one's own body and from the environment and makes it possible to use the body effectively within the environment".
It is the process that builds the relationship between the brain and behavior and the basis to understand the reaction a child shows to certain senses,or a sensory seeking behaviour and how it affects the overall functioning of the child in the environment.
- Sensory integration involves techniques that uses various sensory stimulus like vestibular,proprioceptive,tactile, auditory, visual, olfactory to get efficient processing of sensory information and organize the childsbehaviour.
- It aids to modulate, discriminate, coordinate or organize sensation adaptively.
- It helps the child to obtain accurate information from the body and the environment in order to physically and mentally interact with people and objects.
- It stimulates learning cognitive and perceptual skills.
- Works on getting good eyecontact, response to name, attention, concentration, problem solving and judgement skills of the child with sensory issues.
- Improves a child's motor planning skills needed for day to day activities or challenges in unfamiliar situation.
- It improves execution of functional activities and social skills.
One popular and effective treatment used in Autism is Applied Behavior Analysis(ABA). ABA is the application of behavioral principles, to everyday situations, that will, over time, increase or decrease targeted behaviors. ABA focuses on teaching behaviors that are socially significant or relevant. Meaning, ABA teaches "good" or "adaptive", such as language skills, self-help skills, and play skills. At the same time, ABA also aims to reduce ‘bad" or "maladaptive" behavior, such as aggression, self-stimulatory behaviors, and self-injury. This science includes general laws regarding how behavior works and how learning takes place. In short, ABA aims to change behavior by using the principles of learning. The "applied" component of ABA refers to the practical use of this therapy. This therapy can be used in schools, homes, playgrounds, etc. "Behavior" is everything we do, say, think, and feel. Thus, ABA can be used to change or teach any behavior. While the "analysis" component of ABA refers to the fact that this therapy is based on evidence and experimental data findings.
Dance &movement therapy is the psychotherapeutic use of music and dance to support intellectual, emotional, and motor functions of the body. As a form of expressive therapy, dance & music therapy looks at the correlation between movement and emotion.
Imitation skills are developed through dance and music therapy.
Learning capacity improves and increases with dance steps and music beats in patients. They can learn and remember better with the help of this therapy.
Dance and music therapy is also used to calm down hyperactivity in children or adults. It helps in calming their sensory issues with certain steps and calming music.
Generally dance therapy is done in a group, this improves social skills in a child. The child interacts, imitates, talks, and make friends with other children who dance or learn music with him.
This therapy works best to boost self confidence. Generally due to their disability, patients have very low self-confidence for anything they wish to do. With dance and music therapy they learn steps, tunes etc and are motivated to perform on stage which boosts their confidence.
Patient's attention and concentration improves with this therapy. This therapy brings fun, entertainment and required a lot of efforts from patient's side to concentrate on what step their instructor is teaching.
This is a revolutionary method of rehabilitation of spinal cord injury patients. This rehabilitation process is known as "Kunming locomotor training" carried out on a special walking track for patients with spinal cord injury and paraplegia. This program includes progressive training to weightbear and walk without splints or any assistive devices. It is based on the rule of 6 which is "6 hours of walking per day for 6 days a week for 6 months" using Kunming walker. This leads to patients with paraplegia walking independently without splints at the end of 6 months.
Nutrition is most important for good recovery. A dietitian taken into consideration the nutritional needs and prescribes a feasible diet program to the patients.
Neurological disorders are complex and challenging leading to severe functional deficits. Long term inpatient neurorehabilitation is a goal-directed process that reduces the functional dependence, neurological deficits and secondary complications to provide better quality of life and re-integration in the community.
Healthy diet is the basis on which stands the tower of any treatment. Every patient will be evaluated by our expert dietician and according to individual requirements, a personalized diet chart will be recommended.
After stem cell treatment, patients have to follow a regular exercise program, requiring a lot of energy, which is obtained from good diet. E.g.
-Many patients are anemic resulting in easy fatigability, so they need high iron diet.
-To rebuild muscles we need high protein diet.
-Obesity may cause restricted activities, thus requiring low fat, low carbohydrate diet etc.
All these issues are taken into consideration along with local availability, cost of food; cultural, social, religious norms and staple diet of the patient.
Inclusion of a therapeutic practice like yoga, in tandem with physiotherapy & occupational therapy can help mitigate the conditions of debilitating & degenerative diseases and greatly improve the quality of life. Yoga therapy uses asanas that involve stretching and relaxation of various muscles in combination with deep breathing techniques to improve muscle tone and reduce pain. Research shows that the benefits of yoga for movement disorders include improved strength, flexibility, balance, overall fitness and quality of life.
Yoga also addresses the mental and emotional damage caused by the illness. It helps to infuse positive energy into the individuals and thus help them to increase their inner strength to fight off depression & anxiety that characterize such illnesses. It instills a sense of hope into these patients.
- To motivate patient to set goals for themselves (long term and short term)
- To guide them how to work towards these goals, in a step wise manner and reach them
- To harness their positive energy & cement the therapy as a whole through mind power techniques and meditations to awaken the subconscious mind.
The workshop includes:
1. Guided imagery
2. Inspirational stories
3. Patient videos
4. Goal setting
5. Creative visualization
6. Group therapy